6.25.2008

get my money, buy my medicine

There's a castle-like house that pops up at 2:35 appears to be a house that belonged to (and was maybe built by?) my great-great uncle, who was a bootlegger. If I'm correct, I believe it is now a recording studio. Verification from The Tatie is needed.

Picture 1




UPDATE: The house did, at some point or other, belong to my great-great uncle Walter Blankenship, a man of dubious occupation.  It's now Castle Recording Studio, from whose website I gleaned the following interesting information:

The Castle is one of the truly unique recording studios in the world in that its' physical plant was once a rest stop and hideout for one of the Roaring Twenties' most notorious figures, Al Capone. Built between 1929 and 1932 on 34 cedar-covered acres just 15 minutes south of Nashville, Tennessee, the stone edifice housed Capone bookmaker John Welch. During Welch's residency, the building was served many purposes, including serving as a bootlegging site, and local gambling house. Since that time, The Castle has seen various incarnations, including a rather elite restaurant whose clientele reportedly included Spencer Tracy and Bob Hope.

I'm still trying to get more info from The Tatie, which is proving to be difficult as she is generally too busy for anything that involves me. *insert tune from world's tiniest violin here*

No comments: